Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Speak slogans to complexity

I am watching Food, INC. at the moment. I used to be the fanatic and flaky vegan who just wanted anything that was alternative, healthy different than the norm. In many ways I have changed, but it is mostly from the feeling of powerlessness to change a single given issue. I also realise that I was too young at the time to ever become certain about what I thought I was true.

Although the controversy about food production will continue, the demand for inexpensive items, whether it be a car, computer, clothes or food is also bound to continue out of control. I appreciate how our technologies have made it possible to have diverse and unique items, customized as per stock, consumer demand and feasibility, however far too much waste is generated. We work in factories, offices, and retail outlets to produce a short live satisfaction of ownership. Is there a way that this way of thinking can be changed?

Unfortunately, when the costs of living are so high, people will spend the least they can on anything. We have an industry and government that supports that type of production. It would be nice to have more variety of crops, but if you were working in agricultural production, you would most likely produce what is most profitable as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment