Sunday, September 4, 2011

Microsoft - get rid of the ribbon

I needed to use Word for my thesis. It is what my prof uses, and sending things back and forth without 100% format fidelity can be a problem. I still love OpenOffice even though there are something that need some improvements.

As for the ribbon, here is why it does not work for me :

- The interface changes shape from one second to another
- I use the keyboard to highlight text, then I press the "Context menu" to navigate to my option
- If I am working on something that has frames and makes me need to use the mouse, I will go to the location where I know I can always find the option. The compact text based menus in OpenOffice are quite easy to navigate.

If the main goal was to refresh the look of Office, there is no doubt that Microsoft did make that happen. However the functionality is missing. A single click can happen my mistake, especially if you use a laptop that only has a touchpad. Applying a style randomly can happen. The styles menu of OpenOffice is not pretty by any stretch, but the names suffice. When are you going to be working with more than 10 styles ? Do you really need to have an image when you work with styles like "Heading 1, 2, 3..."

My last gripe of the ribbon is the lack of a single e-mail and PDF output buttons. I click once on that and voilà, I can save the document as PDF or send myself a back up via e-mail. 



No comments:

Post a Comment