Sunday, September 25, 2011

Deus Ex Human Revolution is like The Office

Although I have never had the feeling that I wanted to shoot my boss, the game reflects the "office" culture of the production studio. References to hacking computers to only read spam e-mails, room numbers that are making fun of the internet or consumer technology, all indicate that the developers want to make sure that their audience is not alienated from the future society that is imagined throughout the game.

Now that I have had the chance to play the game, I understand how difficult it is to make good AI. If the the AI is too intelligent, the player will have little to no hope in actually enjoying the game, if the AI is too weak, the game becomes silly. Eidos compensated for the spatial limitations of the NPC or soldiers with armor, or a large number of soldiers who all seem to have unlimited ammo.

Regarding intelligence, I sometimes wonder how people manage their thoughts and actions. It happens to me more frequently that I would like that words come out of my mouth, or off the tips of my fingers without respecting grammatical rules, not common courtesy. Adam Jensen is part robot and the player is given some options to make his existence more "human". I am somewhat unsure how to imagine if I were to have a partial lobotomy and be able to go on with whatever mission the government or corporation is asking me to do.

I would have like to have changed the plot, perhaps give Jensen a little more life and make him be disgusted with his killings, susceptible to lust and an appetite more than what energy bars! If you get shanghaied, you sure would want to eat a good meal. Who knows, Adam Jensen forgets about Megan Reed and takes off with Faridah Malik? Other characters who are women take on the role of leaders, fighters etc? Members of the gang who are women should try to shoot as well!

Other little refinements could include - enemies going into ducts, slowing down or being trapped in the sewers, auto-opening and closing doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment