Thursday, September 22, 2011

Software Training at home

Everybody wants to learn something new. Not everybody has the same levels of motivation, drive or discipline to learn something new. While looking for work, I have spent some time becoming familiar once again with CAD packages, statistical software as well as finite element analysis. Learning to use software is not the same as using it for a specific project. If I had a research project in mind, I would design a research plan, gather data then analyze it. My goal is defined, I want to understand a given phenomena, and the tools that are available include a software package.

Following examples from a textbook do give the possibility of knowing how to use the software, but getting pleasure or satisfaction from using the software is a whole different story. Venturing into a 3D modelling or CAD package, I may have a concrete idea what I want to build, but I will not have the possibility of constructing whatever I choose to draw because I am lacking the tools and materials, as well as the skills to use the tools and handle the materials, to eventually build the 3D project that I drafted.

How is one to overcome the motivational barrier to learning software in the comfort on one's own home?

  • Do videos help?
  • Volunteer with online communities?
  • Go at it with a friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment