Saturday, September 17, 2011

New Install - My favourite freeware applications

Although every modern operating system has everything right out the box, I still like to install some programs that have more specific applications. Here is my list of applications that I need when I do a fresh installation of an operating system ( Windows, OSX, Linux ).

Firefox + Adblock Plus + Perakun + Zotero + Autopager: My favourite browser because of the addons, page info and "power user" features. The History function is the best in my opinion.

OpenOffice :  Easy to use office suite with excellent compatibility. The interface remains consistent, the keyboard shortcuts are second nature to me. If you try to import something into Microsoft Word or Excel, all the formatting, formulas etc are lost. OpenOffice retains as much as it can to make inter system use possible.

Gimp: An elaborate image editor. Very similar to Photoshop.

Inkscape: When I play with my graphics tablet, the Inkscape is a lot of fun.

Ccleaner (Windows Only) : Remove cache and clean up the registry.

Audacity: Multitrack audio editor

Adobe Acrobat : Needed to open the most common file format.

PDF Fill (Windows Only) : Great for combining, splitting, cropping documents and pages.

Irfanview (Windows Only) : Very simple and fast image editor. It most of what I need when taking screen shots. It is also useful when cropping, adjusting colours, or even painting some images.

WinAmp (Windows Only) : I do not listen to music, but I do like podcasts. Regardless, I like the fact that Winamp has a very small memory footprint and does not try to organize my music or folders for me. iTunes gave me a horrible time.




No comments:

Post a Comment