Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Windows 7 BSOD boot chkdsk /f

After having uninstalled an application, I rebooted my system. Windows 7 would not boot. I got a BSOD problem suggesting that I try "chkdsk /f" - going into the recovery or repair console I went to the command prompt and entered that, but to no avail. The system reboots and returns to the same problem.

Somehow my system restore was off. I could not restore my system !

I look up a solution that requires that I enter the recovery console :

1. at the command prompt enter "regedit"
2. Determine the latest loaded driver or program correspond to the latest driver
3. HKLM - file->load hive>system32\config\SYSTEM - name as OFFLINE
4. Remove the keys / entries related to the latest installed hardware
5. Unload hive

Reboot.

If that does not work, make a back up of all your personal data on another disk. Leave your whole user profile as it may cause problems with future installations of windows.
Install Windows 7 on a clean partition and re-install all your software.

It may not seem as straight forward as old XP where you could reinstall to repair problems, but it does eliminate the risk of old problems coming back from lingering drivers or system files.

No comments:

Post a Comment