Friday, August 19, 2011

Really less paper in the future? The cloud to store tablet doodles?

I wonder if people will use paper less. If I ever reread what I post on this blog, I am ashamed and think that I should rewrite the post. Often enough, I will.

Looking at my desk, pens, notepads, and folded pieces of paper get much less attention than my keyboard and screen. I am tempted to print out a book or a document that really can be read on screen. The art of highlighting and annotating is disappearing perhaps? That does not seem like the case with long time integrated tools found in word processors or PDF readers.

What about the case of using printers, a pen to write in cursive, having character with script and paper to manage. Sometimes, it is easier to manage paper. One simply has to limit the amount that is kept at hand. In boxes, there may not be enough patience to go through things, but there is a certain reward to revisit old texts, and things that we have produced. It can also be very painful to see how badly something was written.
As for electronic documents, I occasionally see myself sifting through emails to find something, or look at articles or texts that I have downloaded, but it feels rather monotonous: screen, space bar, read, spacebar, mouse roll, etc.

I have yet to read Steve Jobs' biography, but I will not be surprised to learn that he must do most of his thinking and work at a desk, in quietude with a pen and a pad a of paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment