Monday, August 29, 2011

Assholes usually get bad customer service

Have you ever worked in customer service or tech support?

It may not be much fun, nor does it pay well, but is something that is needed in today's economy so that a company can stay afloat. Sometimes the associates at tech support are less knowledgeable than they should be. It is a job rather than a passion or hobby. Could you imagine a tech support line for English grammar or bad hair days?

When I look at people's complaints about technical service, I understand as I have had my fair share of poor tech support over the phone or through e-mail. When dealing with customer support, it is important to be courteous, polite and patient. I recall a few years ago I helped a friend with a Apple iBook which had a display failure. Apparently there was a recall for the video chip that got partly unsoldered from the logic board, but the recall did not reach everybody. I took the responsibility of contacting customer support, and eventually going to the local shop. Although tech support did provide a solution not going to cost that much money (200$), the retailer's technician was incompetent. He changed the LCD before changing the logic board. The problem was not resolved, other than me spending about 350$ towards a new MacBook that my colleague bought. I just wanted the problem to go away and not have to deal with person who I was intending to help.

The internet has hopefully reduced the costs that companies have to spend on tech support, but it may have also contributed to the calls that support technicians receive that cause them to roll their eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment