Saturday, August 13, 2011

Not even my inflatable doll would use an iPad

You can go a retro store and find a whole lot of classic items which make you laugh as they bring a sense of nostalgia. Many items are still used today : cups, clothing, ashtrays (sort of), can openers, syrup jars etc. Other items are just trends of technology : a tape deck, record player, massager.

Although I spend far too much of my time in front of the computer, I have a hard time seeing people being nostalgic about an iPod in 5 years time, even less in 20 years. The electronic apocalypse, a world in which all our abilities are extended by tools, is very far off, however I wonder what will be items in the past decade that we will become nostalgic about.
Then again, those are things that only 20-30 year old people would care about. Once you make money, you realise that all objects are replaceable, and later on, they will be replaced again...

No comments:

Post a Comment