Friday, November 23, 2012

AMD APU - Which one should I overclock? The CPU or the GPU?

It has been about a month now that I have been experimenting with the AMD A10 APU. Actually, most of the time I would be running it at stock speeds, as its performance is great without any changes.

(In many ways I am confident that this series of AMD processors will help the company rebound. Although I was wrong with my prediction about how tablets would take off, I remain convinced that they are not suitable replacements for computing devices. I like to write, I don't like having to look at my keyboard, or grab the mouse. The keyboard is the ultimate input device. That is why PCs, with all their complexity, will stick around. Cars are easier to fix for mechanics then they were 30 years ago. So are computers, however an understanding of the different systems makes the repairs possible.)

Anyways, when playing a game at 1080p with all the eye candy, I left AMD's System Monitor  operating in the background. It seems that the GPU is most taxed. That means that more frames per second (FPS) could be possible. I can't notice much of a difference above 30FPS. Will a higher FPS make the game any more fun? Well, that is another question. I was playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit. Not a stutter or problem along the way.

As for the results above, it is clear that I should either a) get a better graphics card and disable the APU's GPU or experiment more with the overclock settings such that I can achieve a higher framerate.

The 7660D currently sits at 1050Mhz, but it can go much, much higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment