Thursday, May 17, 2012

Stay away from Patriot Compact Flash




I just purchased a Patriot Memory Signature Line 8GB compact flash card. It is a 266x card, but it’s performance leaves a lot to desire.
Most people using a flash card, will take photos or video. Therefore the write speed is extremely important. For some strange reason, only the read speed is written 40MB/s.


It doesn’t look great, however it is a disaster if you want to run Windows on it. I would like to run another operating system, but it will take me a lot of time to get the undervolting working properly.
Using flash fire, http://flashfire.org it works much better, however I am unsure if the CPU load is increased.
An immediate feeling is that installing programs takes hours, literally. Reading from one location and writing to another on the same flash does not seem ideal.
For 20$ I can have a silent system, however the cut in performance and in space is not ideal. I would recommend going with a IDE to SATA adapter and getting a real SSD.

No comments:

Post a Comment