Tuesday, July 5, 2011

How little have computers changed

Writing this will not get me a job as a reviewer or editor. Saying that my old computer is just fine, for 99% percent of my tasks, will not encourage people to dispose of their old system.

Checking the speed tests of a CPU would make a system seem impressive, but the few seconds that one may save during compilation of a program compared to the hundreds of hours required for coding, is really little benefit. Do not get me wrong I do appreciate the design or artwork that goes into new consumer electronics, but it it makes sense why things have changed so little.
An ideal system must have a keyboard with little flex, a high resolution screen so images and small text is clear (preferably IPS), and low noise emissions. When Windows XP has at least 512 MB of RAM, it runs well. I could have 15 – 20 tabs open in Firefox without a problem. Office applications would also run fine.

I appreciate faster file transfers and programs that take a little less time to load. However, I cannot say that the improvements are that impressive. A touch screen isn't amazing, nor is LCD panel that acts as a subwoofer.

I just like the fact that I can fold my computer, put it in my bag and go wherever. A few hours of battery life is more than enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment