Tuesday, July 19, 2011

BT-09 Bluetooth Mouse - euh... keine ahnung




Well, I finally got myself a replacement for the Logitech mouse. It is great that it is Bluetooth, however it does have some problems :

Mouse wheel is not smooth/optical - there is a mechanical switch that connects to the shaft of the wheel, making a bump click motion for the indexing.

Auto Shut off does save batteries, but there are better ways to save energy. To wake the mouse - from the very poorly written instructions, I apparently have to double click. Seeing how amazingly bright is the LED underneath, I am sure there are other ways to save energy while in use!

The centre click is not quite smooth as the button is offset to the right. One will have to adjust the motion of the centre click to work with it!

Right click would not work! It seems that the tolerances were so low, that the plastic of the button cap could not spring back. I took it apart and shaved a certain amount on both sides of the cap. Then I put a little stress on the plastic cap to make it stick out in the opposite direction that it had been since it had been assembled.

Was the 1600cpi Bluetooth mouse worth it 12$ USD? Well, I think I am most satisfied about finally getting a mouse without an extra dongle, but I cannot recommend the BT-09 to anybody. It feels cheap. The forward back buttons stick out too much, it is a little small for my hands. The mould are cut too deep, so I also had to shave some of the plastic at the tips of the buttons and at the back to make the edges smooth. Beauty is found in the details.

Regarding noise, I may have to put in foam pads to make it silent. Otherwise, any movement from the mouse causes the Bluetooth light, next to the Wifi light on the laptop base, to blink. I think that is annoying - Visual noise, like blue LEDs are to be avoided.

All in all, I am learning about design by consumption. How would I make a better mouse? Would a custom hand moulded system work? What about the bad habits that have come with using a regular mouse, keyboard or other tools and how has that influenced the ergonomics of the things that we use today?

No comments:

Post a Comment