Monday, September 2, 2013

Silverlight - Windows 7 x64 - error 1603 - Solution

A few days ago I had to install the Lync Communicator client on my PC for work. I first tried installing the 2013 version, but learnt that that was impossible as I have Office 2010 on my system.

Lync 2013 http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35450

Lync 2010 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/lync/gg236589.aspx


The installation of Lync was easy, however I got a message at the end of the installation stating that :

SILVERLIGHT IS REQUIRED FOR LYNC

Ok, I thought, download the installation package, install it, and I will be done. Not so. Silverlight would install up to 99% and say "Installation failed" - Error 1603.

Install as administrator - no dice.

There was a problem with the permissions.


 This is what I had to do :

1. Extract the contents of the Silverlight installer  ( Silverlight_x64.exe) with 7-zip.
 

 Then extract the .7z file. I extracted it to a separate folder so that it is easier to see :
 

And lastly, Take Ownership of the Silverlight.msp file.

 To install it, select Apply
 

And you should be able to install Silverlight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment