Sunday, March 6, 2011

Where is a the great improvement!!!

I looked at the new netbooks with "8 hour" battery life, webcam etc. but I found that the store models had the fan running all the time!

Nevertheless, there is a way to get your older system, even if it has a Pentium M, to play full HD video. The solution is simple : reduce colour depth.
I can play 1080p with Media Player Classic at 24 fps. No audio lag. The subtitles are not quite rendered correctly, but I will look a way around it.

I cannot make sense of it, but it seems that 8-bit video resolution (yes 256 colours) looks better that 16-bit (65536 colours) ! ( I actually forgot that number so I used my calculator 2^16 = 65536 ; 2^32= 4.29 Billion colours ...)

Nevertheless, when you reduce your colour depth, the GPU also drops considerably in temperature!

No comments:

Post a Comment