Thursday, March 13, 2014

Reading and writing are the best tools we have to live with technology

On the phone : 
I am impatient. Today I called Paypal to resolve an issue with my account. The phone system is automated requiring users to listen to long menus for the different options. For most people it is rather frustrating expecting to be able to speak with somebody.
Before calling, it would only be fair to give you online the number options and perhaps have a key number to hear the menu.

Where are the subs?
If you have forced air heating or cooling in your home, you probably know how difficult it is to understand speech on television or in a movie. Subtitles are great. Even if the closed-captioning isn't the most accurate, it is still better than missing out part of the conversation or interview.
It would be discomforting to have Google Glass subtitle the words that people in front of you are saying!

If I want to learn about something, how to do it - I read.
Reading and writing takes time. Knowing how to read instructions is important, responding to messages addressed to you, or to the general public, can go a long way. I have to admit that I haven't been reading novels lately, however magazines like the Economist, newspapers, and essays fill my time.

1 comment: