Thursday, January 9, 2014

Can I find work without applying online?

As much as love looking things up online, I hate the Internet. I don't use Facebook. Social networking in a virtual world doesn't interest me. E-mail is enough of a hassle.

With regard to my sudden task of looking for work, I hasn't taken me long to remember the experience that I dread: sending out my resume, writing cover letters that no one will read, and waiting for nothing to happen. Apparently very few people actually do find work from applying online.

What I plan to do over the course of the following weeks :
  1. Print out my resume. Read it aloud. Make corrections. Have somebody else read it and change the wording as necessary.
  2. Print out a number of copies of my resume, make my way to employment agencies (sigh), and drop it off. It will give me a chance to put a face to my resume should I speak with someone other than the receptionist.
  3. Try to find a job waiting tables, or something that will force me to move. Sitting down and facing a screen is very unhealthy. 
  4. Get back into some of my hobbies : drawing, reading, programming. It is a little too cold to work on something out side which would involve my welder or other tools that are made with or of plastic.
  5. Continue to speak with friends. It is devastating being out of work, but there is no reason to pity myself. Maintaining relationships is more important than work itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment