Tuesday, May 10, 2011

When Social Networking is not for you...

I am currently looking for work. If are one the readers of this blog, it may be of no surprise that you do not have much of an idea who I am. It would not take that much sniffing around to find out who I am, but being anonymous is one of those strange luxuries of living in a big city where nobody, other than friends, family, work colleagues and your chosen social groups, know you.

I just read the article "Online presence is underused for job hunters"
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/SciTech/20110508/OTT_technow1_110508/
while I am not on any of the social networking services, I find it really difficult to justify to myself the creation of an online profile. If my previous employers and colleagues think I am dead, it wouldn't really bother me.

A name is built from accomplishments, whether it be publications, projects, participation to a range of activities. Not a generic profile. I cannot even think if I have been photographed more than 3 times in the past 3 years.

As for building an online ever shifting persona, just for the purpose of looking for work, it seems really late to start. Social networking is so 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment