Friday, January 29, 2016

Automobile sputtering/hesistation/loss of power in snowy or rainy conditions - MAF sensor and air filter

It was a rare occasion, but it worried me. When driving in the snow, or in the rain, or even very damp conditions, my engine would occasionally sputter. No engine codes would show up, and it was consistently around 75-85km/h or 2000 RPM ( or maybe 1800-2100 revolutions per minute). I had no idea why it was happening during a steady state operation.

I let my car be as the random sputter was just so rarely an issue - until last week. I thought it had to be fixed.

It may have been a combination of both the air filter and the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) or just one or another, but I serviced both. Since I changed the filter and cleaned the MAF, driving in heavy snow has not caused my engine to sputter.

Instructions for changing your air filter and cleaning the sensor are on the filter box, the sensor cleaner can and in your owner's manual. Nevertheless, for the sake of Google Images  I decided to post some of my experience.

When I had a garage change my filter, it was free as they try to sell other vehicle maintenance,
I have reason to believe that they just cracked the box open to take out the old filter and replace it with a new one. 


It seems like the construction of the new filters will minimize the risk of warping. There are two strips of glue or thermoplastic ( ie glue gun )  that greatly increase the filter's rigidity.






Spray the sensor with the cleaner ( mostly composed of hexane )  on both sides and let dry.
Following the instructions on the container is all that you need to do.

As a note, getting the old air filter out, was no easy task. I love plastic as it is inexpensive, non conductive, lightweight and flexible. I love metals as they are versatile, can be repaired, machined and often easily replaced. Unfortunately the screws and nuts that retained my filter in place were so corroded that I was unable to remove the filter enclosure cover and remove the whole filter box. There are some steps on how to repair it here,  however I just used zip-ties. Inelegant, I know, but it got the job done.

Before inserting the filter and reconnecting the duct, use some plumber's grease or dielectric grease to protect the rubber. I use the product from Oatey. It is composed of several weights of silicone oil, if you let it sit, the lighter oil will separate from the larger weight. The silicone also makes it easier to disassemble next time. 

The aluminum plate at the base of the sensor started to corrode.
I am not sure what is the source of corrosive material- battery acid, potash, lye? 
http://www.airtexproducts.com/news-blog-mass-airflow-sensor-an-easy-fix-for-big-problems-from-a-little-instrument.aspx

http://honda-tech.com/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-current-118/mysterious-hesitation-when-driving-snow-06-accord-2679947/page2/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Repair-2000-2004-Ford-Focus-Air-Cleaner-Box-for-un

No comments:

Post a Comment