Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Unemployment persists - there must be another way

It has been several months now that I have been looking for work. The experience is far too common: skilled or unskilled, breaking into the workforce feels nearly impossible. Hundreds of hours are poured into making the perfect resume for specific postings accompanied by its carefully crafted cover letters which are never read. Following up by a phone call often lands on unanswered voice mails.
Career counselors services have been sought out. Suggestions on revising my resume, motivational talks and e-mails with links to yet another set of opinions on a job search strategy have yet to bear fruit.

What should I do now? I only have a few remaining months of employment insurance. There is the option of returning to school, but after completing a my master's, it has become clear to me that education is not going to help my cause.
I like creative and manual work. My business sense is very poor, thus I am reluctant to start my own business. I would like to note, that relocating frequently for work contracts means that I am not rooted in one town or another. I am currently staying with a parent in a rural location which unfortunately means that I must use a vehicle to make my way into the city. Now that it is winter 35km by bicycle is out of the question.

While writing this blog entry, I am telling myself that I should find a way to become a internet based entrepreneur, freelancer, or someone who can run a business from anywhere. As much as I loved using computers in the past, using social networking, clicking of the mouse and being in front of the computer for hours doesn't give me much satisfaction.

I like working with people, however there is a great deal of satisfaction of realizing projects on my own. Potential business ideas which have come to mind are as follows :
  • On site tutoring for various skills : auto-repair, construction/renovations, computer software training, computer hardware maintenance/repair, cooking/baking, appliance/small engine repair and  maintenance etc.; ( this would more along the lines of empowering individuals. I would not like to take money to do these tasks. )
  • Editing, translation and proofreading of technical documentation;
  • Graphic design - something that everybody can do, but it takes time, as with every task, to do it correctly;
  • Technical drawings, product design etc.
The above list can go on. Literate and able bodied people can do anything they want. There is a learning curve to become more proficient at any task. It is not up to me find the ones where I am willing to pour time into.

No comments:

Post a Comment