Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Why I feel sad for those who get the latest and greatest

The other day, someone showed me his iPad. I have seen and used tablets before, however I know that they fall short of the utility of a desktop or notebook computer. Portability is nice, but the ergonomics of a touchscreen are lacking.

Computers haven't changed that much in the past 20 years. We use:
  • e-mail;
  • instant messaging or chat;
  • write reports;
  • read the news;
  • search for articles (yes that was possible with Lynx);
  • work with media such as compose music or edit videos;
  • play music and videos;
  • play games; 
  • etc.
When we hear about the latest smartphone, or tablet, with the highest resolution, fastest processor or something else, there is in fact very little to be excited about. Most functions were possible with phones about 7 or 8 years old including a camera, voice recorder, synchronize contacts and e-mail. I look at my phone and find only a few apps that I installed. Most of them have never been used.



No comments:

Post a Comment