Saturday, November 6, 2010

VoIP, tech details and sanzhai or 三無產品

Our telephone bill from Bell Canada is ridiculous : 63$, no unlimited long distance. So it was time for a move

I found the best rate was with Acanac http://acanac.ca/ (10$/month unlimited)however I wanted to receive the adapter before making the change over or ordering the service. Upon receiving a "Linksys PAP2 VoIP SIP ATA" purchased on E-bay, I noticed that the documentation that was apparently for Vonage customers. It was filled with typos, formatting (no justification or hyphenation etc.) Nor was there a manufacture date printed on the device三無產品 (No date of manufacturer, No address, No Contact Information - actually there was Linksys but no serial number). Clearly a counterfeit. The device's MAC address, through a vendor lookup, was related to Maxcess International. Unfortunately I cannot give you their website, as none of the first listed sites on Google are related to IT communications hardware! I do not know the history of the device, and even though I am tempted, I will not open it to see the motherboard. Maybe it is a legit board in over production enclosure.

Nevertheless, it seems to work. I got an account with Acanac, mediocre sales service as the was apparently no number in my region, but my suggestion of the Greater area worked quite quickly. Call display is fine, call quality is good, I just have to see how it goes for bandwith. Will definitely cancel Bell Sympatico - expensive, cap (25Gigabyte per month) so using the phone, internet TV or whatever else is a problem.

I am not even inclined to download thousands of movies, although I now have a video card and screen that can support HD, it would be nice however to be able do download demos, or game clients that are 4+ GB - legally and not be fined because I have restrictive ISP!

No comments:

Post a Comment