Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Should my life be easier because I am not motivated by money?

Being unemployed for some time now, I have volunteered at different locations in order to be part of the community as well as improve my chances of networking to find employment. Discussing my experiences and objectives, one person told me that I am lucky by the fact that I am not motivated by money. Although I am well aware of the freedom that money can bring in certain circumstances, there is a trade-off when money and resources are plentiful : stifled creativity and innovation. I have no plans to own a sailboat, a house on the seaside or even a nice car. In fact, ownership is a fleeting experience. That latter statement is contradictory : the only things we can own, that is that no one can take away from us are experiences.

Ironically, since I have been unemployed, my spending has gone out of control. While the use of old or discarded objects will be used for repairs or new construction, I am also acquiring new tools to keep myself busy. There is some enthusiasm with regard to appreciating the tools, as I like the experience of using a tool, modifying it (ie. add a hour counter on my compressor, changing the wiring for a bench grinder).
Unfortunately, there is a solitary aspect to my learning how to use different tools or construction projects. To make things worthwhile, a sharing of the knowledge and experience would make it all more sensible.

No comments:

Post a Comment