Saturday, September 7, 2013

Windows : Search makes the Start Menu useless - From 95 to 7, and finally in 8 designers got it right

The old start menu introduced in Windows 95 was a good idea. One place you access a tree of folders with their respective programs.
However if you look at most start menu folders, you will see that it is a mess :
  • Program shortcut ( OK, that is what you want/need ) 
  • EULA
  • Link to the developer's website
  • Help file ( when will you access that file without being in the program? )
  • Link to register the program
When it comes down to it, you only need one item : the shortcut to the program.

In Windows 8, I rarely find myself looking at the tiles of the start screen (Metro) to find out what program I want to use.  I just type it. Sometimes the item I am looking for is in files, sometimes it is in settings. I just press Tab to move to next group.

There is no need for a touchscreen. Just get a good keyboard you'll be set.

No comments:

Post a Comment